Who, I Repeat, WHO holds a “Major” Political Event on Valentine’s Day Night?
The MDGOP, that’s who.
Last Night, the MDGOP held its annual Reagan Gala at that Turf Valley joint in Ellicott City. This event featured no political speeches and no chicken dinner. So, what do you get for your general admission price of $100.00? Well, according to a virtual handful of people (5 and counting) that I know of who attended last night, you got the chance to rub elbows with about 50 or so folks, eat some “so-so” hors d’oeuvres, and shake your thang on VALENTINE’S DAY NIGHT. For $100.00. Hell, for $100.00 dollars you could rent a room…or something…and really rock it in on VALENTINE’S DAY NIGHT.
50 or so people, that’s it. THAT qualifies as a “major” political event – or fundraiser? In the year following the election of a GOP governor in Maryland? Now, granted, some money is better than no money – and, yes, the weather last night likely kept a few people away – but, still, 50 people?! Are you kidding me?
Well, at least those in attendance got to listen to the fresh sounds of classic rock cover band, Appaloosa. Yes, THAT Appaloosa – a band that was founded in 1971 – or 9 years before Ronald Reagan was elected President. A band that was formed when I was 12 years old. A cover band that had its heyday in the 1970s. A band that has now been around for 43 years. Save me a sip – and Pass the Geritol ®. Or the prune juice. Or maybe that bottle of whiskey…
Now, to be fair, I had never intended on going to last night’s “gala.” But, when I first read a few months ago that the MDGOP was holding it on VALENTINE’S DAY NIGHT, my first thought was – “What genius scheduled that?”
(Reagan, NOT Toasting at last night’s MDGOP Reagan Gala)
I don’t know who scheduled it, but here’s what I do know and/or have been told anyway:
1) The Reagan Gala was initially the brain-child of MDGOP National Committeeman, Louis Pope. THAT, alone, may explain a few things…I guess Mr. Pope is a huge Appaloosa fan.
2) A total of roughly 130 – 150 or so tickets were sold for last night’s gala. I somehow doubt 80 to 100 or so people stayed away strictly because of the weather, considering it was VALENTINE’S DAY NIGHT.
3) Three different people informed me that a number of people last night were having conversations amongst their various groups about WHO the idiot was that scheduled the gala for VALENTINE’S DAY NIGHT – and how stupid said scheduling was.
4) I’ve been informed that MDGOP Executive Director, Joe Cluster, was NOT responsible for scheduling last night’s “crisis in the making.” Apparently, he’s not the boss when it comes to scheduling things.
5) The MDGOP totally screwed up the chance to bring in some major dollars by having this “gala” when it did, which was on VALENTINE’S DAY NIGHT.
In the end, you get what you deserve or at least what you plan for, I guess. Perhaps it was that God knew it was a bad idea to hold the Reagan Gala on VALENTINE’S DAY NIGHT, and sent those wintery snow squalls that tore through the region last night – as a means to keep more people away from the gala and at home or wherever with their significant others. Or something like that, anyway.
Whatever, considering last night’s “gala” was held in his honor, I’m sure Ronald Reagan is spinning in his grave right now.
Either that, or he is off, somewhere, jamming to the crisp and fresh sounds of Appaloosa.